Oldfields Scaffold division innovating smart access solutions to the rail sector
The Sydney rail network has been in operation since 1855 and has become a hybrid suburban-commuter rail system with a central underground core that covers over 815 km of track and 178 stations across eight lines.
The network of 178 stations, all varying in age, are part of a rolling program of asset preservation and rehabilitation by Sydney Trains. Rail asset preservation presents a unique set of challenges which the team of expert scaffolders at Oldfields have, and continue to overcome, with outstanding results.
Housing a population of over 5 million people, Sydney must keep moving, even during maintenance works. This can mean that work is restricted to weekends and stations are sectioned to allow some rail lines to remain in operation in instances where there are multiple platforms.
Working with one of Australia’s leading asset preservation and rehabilitation consultancies, Oldfields Scaffold division has accrued a portfolio of intricate, specialised and resource intensive rail shutdowns across the Sydney rail network.
Typical project features:
• 36 hour window of time for total shut down / reopen, allowing an even smaller window of time for scaffold erection and dismantling.
• Multiple shutdowns of single stations in order to complete work in sections.
• Mobilisation of high-calibre RIW (Rail Industry Work) qualified scaffolders on Saturday and Sunday.
• Scaffold encapsulation using high grade polymer to ‘shrink wrap’ erected scaffolding to contain hazardous material such as lead paint during its removal.
• Accommodate vacuum extraction for hazardous material.
• Working alongside other specialised rail maintenance contract workers.
• Working to exclusion zones.
• Working near high-voltage electricity.
• Vast variations in station architecture.
• Decontamination of scaffold after work completion.
Oldfields Scaffolding is a true market leader in the aluminium scaffolding hire and sales industry. Oldfields’ expertise is developing smart and safe scaffolding solutions to access difficult areas. Oldfields proudly manufactures their own scaffolding which is designed in Australia to the very highest standards.
Oldfields Scaffolding’s national head office is located in Campbelltown, NSW. This branch holds the resources to service the entire Sydney metropolitan area, the Blue Mountains, the Central Coast, Wollongong / Illawarra and the Southern Highlands.
Also located at the Sydney branch is our dedicated engineering team who design, engineer and distribute safe and cost-effective access solutions for Australia and the Asia Pacific.
Oldfields bring a wealth of industry knowledge, experience and expertise to every project.
Our teams are friendly, punctual and technically qualified to be able to complete any project.
Areas of Expertise:
• Aluminium and steel scaffold modular systems design
• Mobile aluminium towers
• Fibreglass scaffold solutions for the electrical industry
• Construction scaffolding – industrial, commercial and private sector
• Edge and void protection systems
• Telecommunications towers
• Civil and shut down operations
• Under-bridge, wharf and difficult access
• Transport, infrastructure and aviation access
• Rail corridor, barge and marine access solutions
• Blasting and painting access solutions
• Scaffold project management solutions
• Maintenance and property services, with national account management
• Scaffolding encapsulation for removal of hazardous materials
• Fast and efficient erection and dismantling service
Scaffolding for Hire
Oldfields hires the following products to a wide range of trades including; painters, electricians, renderers, roofers, builders and maintenance contractors;
• Steel Scaffolding
• Aluminium Mobile Scaffold Towers
• Aluminium Systems Scaffold
• Fibreglass Scaffold
• Void protection and 1st floor edge protection